On Turning 29

On Turning 29
Just my age.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Long Lines for Mortal Kombat

Mortal Kombat 9 or simply Mortal Kombat for the PS3 and XBOX 360 came out this day April 19th in the year of our Lord, 2011. It is a game that I have been looking forward too. More then any other in my past recollection. I was excited when the PS3 exclusive HEAVY RAIN, came out, but it didn’t cause any real passion. I was excited and even reserved God of War 3 and I even bought the fucking PS3 console just to be able to play Dante’s Inferno, but it still didn’t draw me like Mortal Kombat has. Granted the commercial for Dante’s Inferno really sold me. Brought a whole new meaning to that song, “Ain’t No Sunshine”.

That being said, I was able to play some of the game, while I waited for it to be released. I was playing against this greasy, skinny, halitosis smelling gamer, who asked me to borrow $25, cause that’s how much he was short. I told him no. I played against him for about five matches and I whooped on him on 4 and right before he asked me for some money we played one final match and I let him win, just to be away from him.

After that I went back to the front of the line, and just waited for it to be released. I was smart and I had paid for it about 3.5 months ago. It almost feels like a Christmas gift. I think it feels good to get a new gift for oneself. Especially during times of want, it always feels good to treat oneself.

While I stood in line in the semi rainy, mostly drizzly evening it got me thinking about all the different lines I have waited for in my life. I remember when the UA Coronet Theater was open on Geary, and how I would wait outside to watch movies. I remember waiting for the re-released Star Wars trilogy, Apocalypse Now Redux, The Green Mile, Batman and Robin just to name a few. I like hanging out and waiting a long time to see movies or sometimes for products to be released. Today was the first time I did this for a video game.


Sometimes I feel like a loser waiting there in cold, usually alone. My friend David used to wait around with me but even he got tired of that. I think he tired of that around the age of 18, or 10 years ago. I never did. I have gone to midnight movies, mostly with my younger brother. He is usually down to wait around with me. Although when he is seeing someone he usually isn’t. I think I have only gone 1 time alone and that was to see The Dark Knight IMAX.

I have always wanted to date a girl who would be down to wait in line. During my long and drawn relationship. Longtimer and I went to a lot of movies and for some of them we had to stay inline. Particularly when we went to watch the 25th anniversary of Raiders of the Lost Ark. But she never was down to see a midnight movie or anything crazy like that. 

It would be nice if I had a group that did that sort of thing, but what I have come to realize is that I am a bit of enigma. I like videogames, but I detest and I mean detest people who are gamers. I like Anime, and being into Asian culture, in my case KOREAN, but I dislike people especially nerdy types that are into the same thing as I am. I like to read graphic novels but I don’t like the comic book crowd.

Maybe I am the weirdo and I should just conform to those groups so I have people to hang out with. Well I have tried that and I just cannot do it. Every time I try I feel like punching out the guy who is trying to tell me about the upcoming Funimation Anime coming out and I want to kick the girl who is telling about how GIRLS GENERATION is a real group cause they don’t lip sync. It just makes my blood boil.

Mortal Kombat rocks, lines don’t always suck and I guess the lesson I should learn here is just be me and if no one wants to hang out…fuck them.

No comments:

Post a Comment