On Turning 29

On Turning 29
Just my age.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Non-Natives and Yelp: A Match Made in Heaven

People often wonder what the spirit of San Francisco is. A lot people think the spirit of San Francisco is free love and the right to express your sexuality, no matter what it is. This city gained fame during the sixties due to The Doors and hippies and all kinds of free love crap, that sort of, to a degree continues to this day. I mean, we are a progressive city with our marijuana laws and our open mindedness when it comes to people being homosexual, bisexual, and transsexual. That’s cool I can respect that. I am a heterosexual male that can appreciate that my city is a Mecca for people who want to be themselves. This is also comes with a price. I feel in San Francisco there are townies(people who are native to San Francisco) and out of towners.

Out of towners are the group that get’s my blood pressure up. I am not talking about people from different countries, those people are not annoying, it’s the people from the east coast and the Midwest that are the ones that really piss me off. They come to my city and they bitch and complain about everything. They bitch about how expensive it is here, they bitch about how the weather sucks, the economy sucks, they tend to bitch about everything under the windy foggy sky.

I don’t mind when people have complaints about San Francisco, I too, bitch and moan sometimes about how this city can have shitty weather, or how slow the MUNI is(this is another entry for another day) or whatever. However, I, unlike the out of towners have the right to bitch and moan. The way I look at it is this; if you are not from here, you are basically a guest. So have some fucking respect and treat it that way. You never hear people from the west coast going east and bitching and moaning about everything.

I have worked with coworkers that were from the city of New York who came out here over 20 years ago and they still bitch and moan about living here. I have had a particular relative who bitched and moan about San Francisco every single day and yet they lived here for over fifteen years. The way I look at it, it’s the people from out of town who have the chip on their shoulders. I mean if they had more balls they could have made it in the so called harsher east coast. The embodiment of this kind of bullshit attitude is the website known as YELP!.

Yelp, is a website where people can give their opinion about whatever business, Usually they review restaurants and clubs and bars but just about everything from Safeway on Mission and 30th to the Vet Hospital on 9th Ave  between Irving and Lincoln Way. I often read it and I am astonished at the amount of bitching and moaning that goes on there. It is a fucking disgusting site that truly captures the spirit of San Francisco. The San Francisco of 2011.

Granted there are some positive reviews on Yelp, but for the most part I say it’s an anonymous forum for the assholes of the city to bitch and moan about the little things in life. Most of the negative reviews also have an air snarkeyness that has become a San Francisco trait as of late. An example of how snarkey the out of towners of San Francisco have become is watch an episode of the news and you will see the news reporter interview some hipster bastard, bitch and moan about whatever is going on.

Yelp is just another way for people to be witty and wit is a trait that this city really needs to lose. I really hate being on the 38 Geary bus on a Saturday night and have to listen to people bitch and moan about this and that. They bitch in a witty way which makes me want commit a felony by beating the shit out of them.

I am a native San Franciscan, and I am fed up with the way this city is becoming. It is Yelp. It is a city choke full of people who are waiting to complain about everything under the sun. I do not mind legitimate complaints, but to me the way people complain in this city is to the point of excess.

I am also tired of people dogging the city itself. I do not remember signing a piece of paper inviting any of these out of towners, but I sure would like to sign a piece of paper to get them the hell out.

Casual reader it may seem I am full of anger, but read Yelp sometimes. There are a lot of positive reviews but as you read you will see just how dark and nasty and wrong some of the reviews can be. Yelp is just another way the people in this city can be passive aggressive to each other and I must say this is probably the most passive aggressive place in the free world.

Be careful out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment