On Turning 29

On Turning 29
Just my age.

Friday, July 15, 2011

3D Really Really Sucks

with the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 today, their is something that has been bugging me for a long while now. I am getting tired of 3D, it seems like every other movie that has come out this year is in 3D. 3D is nice because it sometimes brings the movies more too life but for the part, 3D is a bunch of bullshit and I will tell you why.

The first complaint I have about 3D is the fact that it is nearly 6 dollars more, then a normal movie. Is it really worth it? I don't thing so. I mean just go watch a movie in the evening and you are already watching a movie that is nearly $13, it may be cheaper in other places, but in this overpriced city it is 13 dollars for any movie that shows after 6pm. So for 2 adults, it is nearly 40 dollars. Now that my friends is a bunch of bullshit.

Even worse is when you pay for the 3D IMAX or the 3D Xtreme cinema which is supposedly supposed to be a better experience. I have seen both Pirates of the Carribean 4 and Transformers 3 on IMAX 3D, and it didn't seem much different then seeing it on the regular screen. I didn't pay the full price for Pirates(I paid for a normal screening and just walked into the IMAX), but I did pay full price for Transforers. I paid 20 fucking dollars to see the movie. That pissed me off. I was trying to get my friends to follow my lead, but those pussies didn't want too.

The Xtreme cinema versions are even worse. I can sort of understand extra on the IMAX, cause the sound is okay and the screen is huge, but that bullshit that is called Xtreme cinema is such a gimmick. It claims to have floor too ceiling screen, which it does, but here is the rub:

The screen might be floor to ceiling but most movies shown on that Xtreme cinema screen doesn't go to floor to ceiling.

Most movies filmed for these kind of screens are filmed in 2:35-2:40 aspect ratio(for folks who don't understand this, it means when you watch on DVD or Blu Ray it will have black bars on a wide screen tv, and heavy black bars on a regular TV), it's because movies that are supposed to be in Xtreme cinema are action and most non action movies are filmed in the 1:85 aspect ratio(if you have wide screen TV means no black bars, if you have a regular TV its small black bars)

Another reason 3D is bullshit is because it messes with the clarity of the film and it is also distracting. When you watch a movie in 3D you have to put on those glasses and they make the screen darker, so films like The Final Destinatio, Green Lantern, Clash of the Titans and Thor look dark and the screen looks shitty with 3D.

We as humans see in 3D but the 3D we see on the screen is something else. To me it is a distraction, when you watch a movie you are supposed to enjoy the story not be wowed because I can almost touch the screen.

There are a few movies that looked great in 3D. Avatar, Pirates, A Christmas Carol are probably the best looking 3D movies. These movies were shot for 3D and not just converted to 3D.

What i like to do, if I want to see a movie in 3D rather then pay the extra money, just keep the glasses from a previous film and use those later. I haven't paid(Except for Transformers3) a 3D movie in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment