On Turning 29

On Turning 29
Just my age.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Kids These Days...

Now where to start? I suppose one of the subjects that I have seemed to have forgotten or rather chose not to write about is kids these days. I mean I have written about things that have bothered me, but things that bother me, but writing about young people these days is a whole different animal. One of the biggest pet peeves I experience on a daily basis is the youth of today.

I don’t mean people who are in their early twenties I mean kids between the ages of 11 and 15. After about 15 then these sub adults become somewhat tolerable. Kids between the ages of 11 and 15 are barely above retarded. I am not saying they are stupid, but what I do see from them is a sense of entitlement like no other. I know I was a little shit when I was a teen and when I was in early high school, but I don’t think I ever was at this level of retardation.

If you are having a tough time at what I am talking about then ride the bus, go to a movie, explore the mall any day of the week between the hours of 2 and 5pm and you will see exactly what it is I am talking about. I don’t know what it is about them that drives me nuts. I think it has to do with the fact that kids 15 through 11 were born and raised right when the internet and cell phones really took off. I think with the abundance of cell phones and the access to the internet, this generation of kids are the worst in history. I don’t care if your child or little brother and sister fall into this category(because I have siblings in this range as well), but its this generation that does not know a powerful word called “patience”.

I mean just look at this day and age. I mean no one can discipline kids anymore. I mean god fucking forbid you smack some 12 year old kid and that pile of afterbirth will call Child Protective Services and you may find yourself in court or worse, have your kids taken away. To me it’s bullshit. I was smacked as a child, I knew quite a few kids in my class that were hit and we turned out great. There is a difference between punishment and abuse*.

I was born in 1982, and I am almost 30 years old. I grew up in one of the last generations that did not have internet in their high school. I mean we did but it was so primitive and shitty that it was not worth using most of the time. I didn’t really grow up with a cell phone either. I got my first cell phone when I was about 21 years old. Pretty fucking late, when you consider my little sister has a cell phone and she is only like 10 years old. More then a full decade younger then me. I grew up in the pager age**. Pagers, let’s not talk about that shit.

Let’s also talk about the way kids these days talk. I don’t mean being loud or dumb, but the subject matter. I have never heard such whiney bitchiness from so called “thug kids”. The way the so called “tough” kids talk these days is the way kids who were Goth talked when I was young. Everything is about emotion and every thing is all dramatic and many, many fucking times, I hear about teens sex lives.

I hear adults my age talk about sex, as well, but there is something really disturbing when I hear a girl of about 14 say “I never gave away my vcard to him, I mean I let him feel me up and later I served him up”.***. Yes I was a horny teenager and yes I tried to get to feel up on as many girls as I could, but I never spoke about it out loud so nonchalantly and the way they spoke was disturbing to me. I mean it is odd just how open people are about sex. Is it progress? I don’t think so. Just because you can talk about sex, doesn’t mean you should and I really hope that those people are wearing protection because some of kids are going to find out about life the hard way.

I am not a prude and I like to talk dirty. There is nothing wrong with talking dirty and nasty to someone as long as they want to hear it, but I don’t care who you are, I don’t think it is a good idea to talk about that shit on the bus. Please can we also leave the making out to a minimum. It seems that everywhere I go there are two pimply sweaty and greasy people making out. I cannot really get mad at this, since I used to make out with girls anywhere. This is part of a punishment and for that I can forgive.

Kids are really dumb these days and they don’t know life before the age of cell phones and computers. I mean by no means is my generation brilliant, but it seemed to have bread people who were pretty smart and had some sort of control over themselves. People my age are Seth Rogan, Mark Zuckerberg, Natalie Portman just to name a few. People who grew up in the “cell phone” age are Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez. I am not ragging on them, but if you look at their characters they are all about in your face now, now, now. My generation by no means was free from this. I mean we had Backstreet Boys and The Spice Girls, but the shit just seemed cooler. Maybe it’s cause I am a snob.

Maybe it’s an age thing. Maybe people my parents age thought that kids my age were spoiled. I am not too sure about this. I mean my generation(growing up in the late 80s-90s) had differences. I mean we had NES and Super NES, VHS, Cds and cable was dominant, but aside from cable and Cds and “real” video games, what was so different. I mean I didn’t grow up with a device that instantly connected me with friends, I know what it is like to miss a call. I know what phone tag is, I know it feels to get a busy signal. I mean our generation was different but it is not like 100% different like today’s generation.

I think it is the attitude that bothers me the most. I just wish people who are young know what it means to be cool and not treat every little event like a fucking tragedy.

*People always argue against kids getting hit with the belt or smacked, but I think it is important. I mean if a kid does something against the rules, then they should be spanked. SPANKED as in with an OPEN PALM, no fists or kicks. I mean spank and punch are two different things.

**Pagers are the stupidest fucking things ever invented. What is the point of a fucking pager? I mean you get a page, then you spend half an hour to get change and find a pay phone and you call the person back and when you do they’re usually not home. Or you could carry a pager and have a pocketful of change and jingle and jangle like an asshole. As stupid as they are when I was in high school, I was crazy about them. Even had a girl buy me one when I was in 9th grade. That rocked.

***That particular conversation was had by a effeminate Latino kid and his best “girlfriend” who looked, well I don‘t know, she looked like an alien. Probably hapa. The fag hag was the one doing all the talking. It got worse when the Latino started giving the girl “tips” on how to service her boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment